Dr Mitchell's residence, Cumberland Place, The Rocks, Sydney, 1842

Designed by Francis Greenway for Robert Campbell snr (1769-1846). Greenway described the house as a "cottage ornee"  Cumberland Place was neither small, either by colonial or present-day standards, rustic, nor picturesquely irregular, the usual criteria for a cottage ornee.  It was essentially a large bungalow... bisected by an imposing pilastered and pedimented two-storeyed pavilion. This central pavilion was ideally suited to the superior status of the house and to its siting... with views across the quay, the town, the Government Domain.  Mrs Augusta Maria Scott (1775-1840) purchased the house from Campbell in 1832. When her daughter, also Augusta Maria, married Dr James Mitchell in 1833 the newlyweds lived at Cumberland Place and it was in this house that the renowned bibliophile David Scott Mitchell was born in 1836. The house was demolished around 1912. Painted in 1842 by Conrad Martens, renowned landscape painter in Australia who arrived in the colony aboard HMS Beagle with Charles Darwin as ships draughtsman. sydneylivingmuseums.com.au